2014-07-02

Chapter 2: An Orkut Love Story

This post-cum-chapter on Day Two is written as part of the  UBC July 2014. Hope you enjoy reading it:)



CHAPTER 2

I forked up almost 500 bucks for eight hours of surfing, logging on and off Orkut during the past few days. There is no sign of Swagata and I am feeling depressed, cursing my luck.
It’s getting absurd to feel for an estranged kinda crush living in another country, surrounded by the sea and whom I’ve never met and will probably never ever in my life. I can’t help feeling there is something about her and the heart is already doing somersault. Right now, I am incomplete and life is never the same without her. Thank you, Orkut.
“Better to stay off Orkut, buddy,” I try to reason. I am trying to delete the vivid and charming face of Swagata from the mind and spent the days, roaming around at Café Mondegar and SFX Bar in Colaba, drinking beer, with my almost depleted pocket money sent from home. It’s Saturday and I bond with Kushal and his girl-friend, Tanvi, wearing Red Jersey and cheering for Manchester United at SFX. As huge Man U fans, we are bonding over beer.
Tanvi asks, “So any girl-friend?”
“Nopes…actually, I like someone on Orkut,” I hesitatingly said.
“Tell more, bro,” Kushal beams with excitement.
I feel flustered and strange, sharing the unusual one sided romance with new stranger-friends I met a while ago. “Actually, we don’t know each other but saw her profile on Orkut. I feel, I am falling for her, she is from Mumbai but shifted base to Hong Kong,” I let off.
Tanya laughs, “Dude! Get a life. Seriously! How can you fall for someone you’ve never met and get upset about the whole thing? I mean, why should she add you? Are you Anil Ambani, Abhishek Bachchan or the Prince of Wales, or what? I am sorry, I am just being frank.”
Tushar intervenes, “Take light, man. If you want to, I can introduce you to the hot females in my office. Take a chill pill Chillax” He pours more beer in my glass and winks, “Try to be friend with Swagata and who knows, she might respond! But, don’t build castles in the air about someone you’ve never met. If it happens, let it be or else there are plenty of fish in the sea. We’ll go fishing”
Tania seems serious and sneers at her boy-friend. “I am shocked, to say the least. How many hot chicks you know in your office? Many fishes in the sea…this is so misogynist, dude..anyways,” she sounds offended.
Tushar’s face grows white. Tania ignores him and held me by the shoulder to ask, “Listen dude! She needs to get out of your system and you are staying with us at our Parel House for the week end. Hey cheer up! We’ll catch a glimpse of your Swagata during the Sunday Brunch on your new ‘Orkut’ life.” She hugs me.


To be continued…..

21 comments:

Catherine| Fit Armadillo said...

Sounds like an interesting read! I haven't seen any of the other chapters, but I plan on coming back to check out more. Any story that takes place near the beach is one I love :)

Vishal Bheeroo said...

hehe! Now u giving me idea of the beach as the perfect setting, Catherine. Thanks and do read the first chapter:)

Vinay Leo R. said...

Hmm. Reading on till the end :) Orkut was history for me long back, so this is like a rebirth of sorts :P

Unknown said...

From UBC - I hope the story will continue till the end and not stop after UBC challenge has ended. LOL

Anonymous said...

Lovely read. Will definitely come back to see how the story unfolds :)

Visit me @TaleoftwoTomatoes

Swathi Shenoy said...

aha so our heroine is yet to make the grand entry :D lets see when she will make it ;-)

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Thanks Leo for commenting. I know but I haven't deleted my account and the stories is a sort of ode to the first tryst with networking:)

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Hi Retha, thanks for the support and the novella is being concocted for the challenge:)

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Hey talesof tomatoes I already visit you with my other blog:)

Vishal Bheeroo said...

@Swathi: She is making her grand entry very soon:)Watch out for her...

Tina Basu said...

okay... eight hours of surfing from a cafe???? !!!!

and if u r so much on orkut u need to find out an alternative soon - by September to be precise because Google is taking it down.

And why she might not be responsing is - she also has stopped logging into Orkut.. Dude Orkut is history!!

Tina from The Sunny Side of Life

Umang said...

Pretty good!After reading it, I wish you all the very best for future anyway! *smiles*

Vishal Bheeroo said...

haha Tina! Not me by the character..haha I shifted to FB way back in 2009 or 10..can't remember but dropped once in a blue moon But, Orkut remains ma first love..haha. Ive decided to export all ma documents:)

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Thanks Umang:)

Pixie said...

I will miss Orkut when its recalled in Sept!!

interesting read Vishal!

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Thanks Pixie..me too will miss the first love Orkut, our old chum:)

daneshwari said...

Pretty good :)
Interesting read though :)

Gayu said...

How can one fall in love with someone you have never met....interesting :-) hopping to next chapter :-)

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Thanks Daneshwari for dropping in:)

Vishal Bheeroo said...

@Gayu: Haha love is magical I guess:)

payal agarwal said...

Interesting..and I have friends who met on Orkut and they are happily married today. Reminds me of them.:)