2011-06-06

Lazy Sunday plus bonus:Review of Ready

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

 Sunday is a very lazy, care free day for me. Over the last year, I have learned to value my Sunday which became almost a luxury for me. Twice a month I work on a Sunday and the rest two of them, I'm let off. It is the demand of working in the print media.
June seems to grant me a huge favor. I have three consecutive Sundays and it just went away few hours back. I woke up late and remembered just in time that I have to attend dinner at my sister's house. It was an opportunity to be with the kids and recollect the week that was. I took the newspaper where my review of Salman Khan's Ready appeared and made sure that everyone read it. Made them ready for this one. It is special indeed as I made my debut as a film critic. I am even more elated as I finally made it as a film columnist cum review writer, whatever one may call it. Took leave and came home as I slept for three hours. That's Sunday for me. Back from the dreams I had a Vodka, read Sunday Times and pepared some mutton dish. Not hardcore dish but cooked with tomatoes.
Thought of catching a movie on DvD but then decided to read some stuffs. K3G came on Star Plus but chose to skip it though my favourite hero, Big B is the main lead. Personally, this Karan Johar movie made sense 10 years back but not any longer. I am more in a mood for some concept based cinema or comedy for that matter. Well, I am still reading some newspaper stuffs. Me guess, gonna start reading R K Narayan Bachelor of Arts, a book that I gave to Namu, my junior in college 5 years back. It's been long. I remember buying at the newly opened Crossword store at Senapathi Bapat(S.B) road Pune.
Brownie points on Sunday, yeah there are quite a few. I have a distinct quality. My Sunday can never be perfect, no matter how hard I try. I was planning to make some tuition notes, I dint. Neither did I write my script as I was planning to nor writing a short story. Was grappling with the idea for quite some time and during the week that elapsed it was part of my Sunday plan. But, ahem!ahem!
Good night.
**********************************************************************************
My review of Ready which appeared in The independent newspaper. Unfortunately, I am not able to get the proper link. Give me some feedback on my first outing as a film critic.

Not Quite Ready
Salman Khan doesn’t make movies for awards but for box office bonanza and entertain the masses. This time he teams up with South siren Asin and director Aneez Bazmee in this comedy flick. This is no Dabbang and Wanted for that matter. Bazmee works on the same old borrowed, tried and tested formula, It looks that the director who gave us entertainments such as No Entry, Welcome and Singh is King has lost his magic touch as the characters are not well defined, loose script and loud acting on the part of multiple characters.
Ready is the story of Prem(Salman) and Sanjana (Asin) who falls in love and they have to fight the greedy uncles of Sanjana who to appropriate the wealth left by her deceased parents. Prem convinces his family to be part of his conspiracy to trick his lady love greedy uncle and on his way to reform them.
Salman Khan does his job as demanded by the script and he is at his usual self and what he does best. He charms the audience. Asin is endearing as the bubbly girl and tries to recreate the magic of Ghajini. Unfortunately, the script fails to justify the talent of the lead actors. Paresh Rawal is at his natural best and proves once again that he is one of the most talented actors of the Hindi film industry along with Mahesh Manjekar as the father of Salman Khan. In fact, both of them are the saving grace of the movie produced by Sohail Khan. One plus point is the good chemistry shown between Salman and Asin.
The problem with Ready is that the concept has been borrowed so many times and he fails to give a fresh treatment to the movie. It moves at a snail pace. Director Bazmee tries hard to make the audience laugh with the comic scenes. It has its light moments but clearly not enough to make a laughing riot.  The guest appearances of the likes of Sanjay Dutt, Ajay Devgan and Kangana Ranaut does little to the quality of the product.
The problem with Ready is the loose script which doesn’t take off, scenes heavily borrowed from the super hits of 70s and 80s as well as loud acting on the part of some of the characters.
In terms of songs, character dheela and dhinka chika stand out as it struck a chord with the audience and has mass appeal. Coming back to the film, better you rent the DvD’s of Bazmee earlier successful movies or 70s and 80s. Watch it only if you are huge fan of Salman Khan.
*************************************************************************************
Have fun.



No comments: