2012-07-10

The monsoon conversation over vodka

It's a soothing Saturday evening. Monsoon flooded island city as trains were running late and people were stranded at railway and bus stations. The city witnessed the first shower in the evening as water rose above sea water and promenades at Marine Drive and Bandra was flooded.
Away from the heavy rains, Ayush, Panchi and Siddharth sat in the hall of a plush apartment in Bandra over vodka, coke and weed.  They were celebrating the first monsoon in the city.
 The gang of three met on the first day in Economics class and since then they became good friends in a city afflicted by loneliness and 'I mean business lingo.' As the vodka is poured in their respective glasses, Ayush lying on the floor and holding the cigarette stick between his fingers pops a question, 'Guys what do you think about life, no seriously?"
Siddharth and Panchi yells at him in unison, "What the fuck, dude? Now, don't start with your Paulo Coelho-kinda-inspired philosophy?"
Ayush retorts, "So you guys wanna debate how to make babies?"
He continues, "Panchi your life is set. You are going steady with your boyfriend, have great sex and is a well known journalist with Mumbai leading and respectable magazine, Today's city."
He gives Siddharth a menacing look, "You mother fucker. You spend your dad's money like a fish on daaru and after your MBA you will join your dad insurance stock company. I'm sure your dad has already reserved a cabin for you bearing the label director."
Siddharth shouts, "Fuck you Ayush..bloody bitch."
Panchi intervenes just in time, "Guys chill!!! What's the issue?"
Ayush explained that he just wanted everybody to have a discussion on life and a complete departure from their usual conversation about girls, guys for Panchi and sex.
Siddharth playfully asks, "So mother fucker what is on your agenda of life today..dude and please no reference to Paulo Coelho..do your research on him later?"
Ayush starts, " See my scene right now is that I don't wanna go to my home town and spend the rest of my life with mom. After all, it is a question of my individuality, guyzz? I want to live my life and this is where everything lies.Yahan Mumbai me!
Siddharth joins in, "Listen dude. Whatever you say? After all, she is your mom and she needs you. I also want to settle in the States. But, I think that I should be with Mom and Dad. They are our parents and we must sacrifice our dreams for them. I mean it's not cool to leave them alone in old age and embrace our dreams. They need us at some point or the other."
Ayush lights a cigarette. "Dude, I am not saying that. Chasing our dreams doesn't mean we are being selfish or something like that. I honestly believe that it is important to be happy in life. It is our right as human beings to be happy and it is not something that we are asking life to give to us. Happiness is not charity."
He asks, "Do you think that our parents would love to see us sad or for that matter, their joy lies in our happiness?"
Siddharth quips, "I don't know? I never discussed such things with mom and Dad as I never thought of leaving them to pursue my dreams of becoming a singer. I always wanted to take a course in singing in US. But, there are always certain considerations."
He touches the shoulder of Ayush in a comforting manner, "I understand that you always wanted to be happy in your life. But, bro any decision has to be well thought and dissected. Sometimes, in our quest for freedom we must ensure that we have not left our loved ones behind that coming back may become a near impossible task."

Hmm! You guys are quite confused about what you want in life, rues Panchi in a playful manner. I think that Ayush is quite clear in what he wants in life. Guys, I personally feel that when we would be lying on our death bed and shed tears on what we could but didn't do in life, it will be the biggest tragedy of human life. She explains, "At least, it's better to pursue one's dreams and live joyfully rather than dying every second. There are some people who are already dead every moment despite living on earth."
She quips, "If you may feel, Siddharth can I honestly tell you something?"
Siddharth nods.
Panchi continues, "Dude, I respect your views about making your parents happy. But, I feel that you are scared to pursue your dreams. Go and kiss the world. Perhaps, you will never get such an opportunity again in life."
Turning her gaze to Ayush, "Yeah! Dude! That doesn't mean you are happy with your life. I mean be happy with what you do with life. You were telling me that my life is set. Fine, I have a great boyfriend. We have great sex and I am doing well professionally. But, that doesn't mean that life is a bed of roses for me. I belong to a small town and fought with my family to be here in Mumbai. Professionally speaking..everyday is a struggle for me and to reach where I am today I had to fight with myself every single moment sacrificing friends, late night parties. Life is not that easy dude. But, play cool and stay cool dude! Now, I need another vodka."
Siddharth pours vodka in the glasses. Panchi sips the vodka and say, "Over to you, guys."
Everybody remain silent for five minutes.
Siddharth, hmm!!!! Arre purra monologue kiya Panchi ne. I think we need to smoke up  and get back to the stuffs. This is getting really interesting and passionate during the monsoon.
They walk towards the balcony and share a joint. All of a sudden, the heavy rains lashes on the city.
"Arre! Panchi is right about me and you. It's raining and we could have chosen to run inside the house but we are standing right here as dollops of rain is falling on our forehead. It's experimental and we are enjoying it. Life should be like that only! No analysis. Just embrace life," observes Ayush.
Siddharth adds, "For once, I do not dispute the fact. Dude! Go home and make your mom understand where your happiness lies. I never knew that you can't do without Mumbai. I mean hold her hands and tell her the truth. But, please don't let her in the dark."
Ayush agrees, "I understand your point and won't keep her in the dark. On one side, lies our happiness and on the other side is her, one of the most important important woman in my life. She gave me birth, true and it is something I will mull over, to bring her with me to Mumbai if she agrees of course. In that way, she will not feel lonely and I can pursue my dreams. I wish to say that I am not selfish."
Siddharth pours another drink in their respective glasses and stand up and raises his right hand in theatrical fashion. "Lady and gentleman, I need your attention. You guys have opened my eyes. I have decided to go and pursue my dreams of becoming a singer in Boston. I will explain to mom and dad. Perhaps, in the start they will feel bad. But, they will understand. If I make it, they will be proud of their son. If I fail, they will also be proud since their son tried at least."
Both guys shouts in unison. "Climax ka time aagaya and over to the over-drunked lady."
Panchi smiles and shouts."Fuck off guys. It's high time that both of you need to get laid!!!!Okie, over to me.."
".....Well, with respect to what our parents have done for us, I want to ask a simple: If we were given the choice, would we prefer to be born in our respective families or for that matter choose to come in this world? Think over it, guys!! Our parents never asked anyone before deciding to bring us in this world since it was a matter of choice. So, is it fair on their part to tell us not to pursue our dreams and not be happy in life?"
The room went silent. Panchi lights a cigarette: " Guys, don't take it wrongly. I am personally grateful to my parents for what they have done for me. I am sure you guys are grateful too and love your wonderful parents. I am just saying that it is not a sin to dream and walk towards the path to achieve happiness in life. It should not be a clash between us and our parents. I feel that the biggest selfish act is to prevent a friend, son or daughter  or for that matter a lover to fly."
They all clapped. "Taalis, taalis" and hugged each other.
The rains doesn't seem to stop. The wind is blowing violently. Monsoon has started and island city is beaming with joy.



5 comments:

SEPO said...

Interesting stuff! High on life and vodka.. Like they say the best ideas and thoughts come when you are high :)

The story was captivating and a real scenario kinda thing and hence believable.

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Hey SEPO,
Thanks a ton! Should I tell a secret..I finish the story in 2 days and yeah..was having a combo of Vodka aur Redbull...lol..yeah, the undertone has been borrowed by what many of us faces at home. It has an under layer of real life coupled with dollops of imagination:)
Thanks a ton for liking it:)

PriPat said...

Honestly, Vodka and friends combination is best to explore the philosophical side of us!!

If you dont mind, I guess the language was bit on the harsher level!

Ravindra Saran said...

बहुत अच्छी जानकारी.हमेशा की तरह अच्छी पोस्ट की है आपने.

Vishal Bheeroo said...

@Pripat: sorry for late reply..dint reply coz was short of time. Will take it into consideration and thanks:)

@Ravindra: bahut bahut shukriya..welcome aur aate rahiya blog pe:)