2015-05-31

WoW: Fool me Twice



'Fool me Twice'

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda. 'Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. I love this quote which is so true and jumped on the occasion to participate for WoW after a span of six months. Hope you enjoy the take!
Write Over the Weekend!

'Fool me Twice'

I furiously typed on my laptop and rush to get for a print out, signing the letter, accompanied with a long written diatribe ink on paper. I have decided. I am putting my papers to walk out from the worthless, useless and hellish office.
Suddenly, a tube light moment struck. I crushed the letter and threw in the dustbin. I ain't go letting them get rid of me so easily and will play around to beat them at their own game that they love playing in the office. They made me a scapegoat the last time but not this time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
My career was on a roll as a young business reporter. One day, I was urged by my heads to lay my hand on the documents to expose the nexus between business magnates to embezzle funds. My boss congratulated me for my work and urged me to track the business which involves black money where hundred crores are at stake. The man, whom I consider as a father figure in office, told me to meet him in our Lower Parel office at 11 o'clock to discuss my next assignment since he didn't want anyone to get hold of the sensitive matter that may spoil our plans. As I reached the office, he called me, "Arjun! I will be late by five minutes. There is a blue envelope on my table. Open it and have a look at the concrete evidence that will make us expose Singhania property development. It must go tomorrow morning as breaking news."
I walked silently and gently pushed the door of the MD office, opening the envelope when two cops entered. "Arjun Mhatre?," they ask. I nodded. "You are under arrest for tampering with sensitive evidence that may put at stake so many businesses." I protested vehemently, telling that I am waiting for my boss. They urged me to come with them since I have been caught red-handed with the blue envelope that should be in the hands of the officials of the Finance Ministry and CBI. I've been told that I might be charged with stealing confidential envelope that contain the state secret of the Government of Maharashtra.
The tall police office, lit a cigarette and looked menacingly at me,"Sir! It's a serious matter. Confess your crime and spend six months inside. Singhania will take care of the rest."
At that time, I realized that the media baron where I am work is in cahoot with the perpetrators of blue-collar crime. I got wind of the role my boss was playing to frame me. At that time, the phone rang and the police officer told me,"Sorry to bother you. You can leave for now."
The next morning, I knocked on the door of Rajput Bedi, the managing director of 'Breaking News' to confront him but he coaxed me with, "Sorry for getting you into trouble. Take this signed cheque. Feel free to put the amount of your choice without hesitation. Book your flat and car. Don't think I am buying you. Arjun, you are a honest man and it's your reward for working so hard for our newspaper." 
I walked out, with the thought 'Fool me once, shame on you.'
It's only now after I tore my resignation letter and threw it inside the bin that I realized that Bedi fooled me for the second time by sending me on this assignment about the secret meeting between two media barons and a minister on deal worth crores. It was midnight the earlier day when I overheard the conversation between Bedi and his associate that someone else will represent him at the meeting. I recorded the conversation on my new mobile phone gifted by Bedi. He didn't realize that his secrets were recorded on the memory card which he forgot to remove.
It was my toughest night at work and stayed in the office till early morning. The bundle of newspapers already went to press and before leaving office, I tendered my resignation on Bedi's table: 'Fool me twice.....' I took my copy of Breaking News and forwarded the video via whatsapp to print, web and TV journos in town. I lit a cigarette and sip a cup of tea at the tapdi reading, 'Media Magnate Rajput Bedi swindles Rs 300 crores with State Minister on biggest scam in Mumbai.' In the evening, I was glued in front of the TV camera, zooming on Bedi, handcuffed on his way to jail. It was the headline on Breaking News and on all TV channels. I had the last laugh, 'Fool me Twice....'

No comments: