2015-07-23

Monsoon Affair (13)

Monsoon Affair (13)

It's been raining for several nights. Ayush has been doing the round of Huma's apartment and kept pressing the bell much to the irritation of her neighbors. A lady in her late 50s stormed out of her house and scolded Ayush, "Why don't you people realize that there are people who live here? I have a small child who gets disturbed with you pressing the bell so furiously."
He apologized and asked, "Aunty! Is she around?" The lady rudely called him off! "Baba! How would I know? She keeps coming at night, disturbing people's sleep with her heavy footsteps and disappears for days and nights only to re-appear again. She was such a nice girl but behaves very weird nowadays."
He has been waiting to see Huma for several days, lingering near her apartment till the early morning and slipped some notes to the security guard, to get shelter in the box sized office at the gate's entrance. He saw her scampered past the gate and trailed her till her apartment. He called her name, 'Huma' and she was shaken on seeing him. Huma was aghast, "What are you doing here?" He stood still and threatened, "Let me in or else, I am going to create a scene here," forcing his way inside the apartment.
Ayush started shouting, "What is your problem? Why the fuck are being so weird? I just don't get that!!! You just disappear like that and no response from you. I love you damn it."
She ignored him, "It's over between us and was just a passing affair. As it is, I don't believe in this love crap. Why don't you go with that bitch Sonali with whom you were having a good time?"
He sarcastically smiled, "Of course you love me. I got my answer. But, there is something that you are hiding and I will find out."
"No, I don't love you. You better get that and stop making our lives hell. Move on and get a life," she protested.
"Of course you do. Stop hurting yourself. Freaking out and staying for the whole night at the hospital and now, getting jealous about me and Sonali. I don't know what you are into but I have the feeling that you are screwing your life."
She shouted, "Yes! I am harming myself and it's not your problem. Stop bothering me, will you? I have no feeling and used you for my own advantage. Can't you see that? It's my life and you have no right to interfere."
Ayush was getting crazy but maintained his calm. "I got your answer and it's time for me to leave and go. I just don't understand the hows but the way you are reacting shows that you've have been hurt in your life, rejected by people and the frustration is showing. You are trying to seek revenge by inflicting the same on me. It must be your parents not giving you attention or some lover rejecting you."
She raised her voice and sobbed, "I dare you don't get into my parents. You don't have the right to pass comment on me without understanding what I've been through."
He persisted, "What you've been through? Tell! If you got some guts rather than running away like a coward."
She shrieked, "Get out of my house." Ayush turned around and banged the door.

**************************************
Ayush  stopped at the tapdi and ordered a cutting on the busy afternoon. He lit a cigarette when someone touched him on his shoulder. "You love her, don't you?" he was taken aback by the feminine voice. He was startled when he saw Huma's best friend, Niharika. She dragged him away from the tea stall, flung ten rupee note on the tea seller.
As they walked past the crowded street and traffic signal, Niharika coldly said, "Huma is in deep shit and we gotta save her. She loves you but is on a destruction spree. My best friend has only one thing on her mind and it's vengeance."
He was confused and too shocked to say anything. "Let's barge into her apartment. I need to show you something. Don't think. Let's do it for her sake and preventing her to do something very stupid. It's a question of life-and-death. I just found out."

No comments: